Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Albertaprediabetic

Almost prediabetic.. trying to figure stuff out

Albertaprediabetic

40 year old male in Canada.

I have diabetes in my family history (type 2) and I'm fighting to not get it right now.

I joined because I honestly feel like my doctor doesn't truly understand what he's doing with pre diabetes and I need better answers and information.

I've tried a nutritionist and I got opposite answers than my doctor concerning my diet.

Very confusing!

Dowling

Hi Albert, welcome to the forum

It's not surprising that you got no info from your doctor. Doctors and the medical profession know little about diabetes and how to avoid complications. I don't know what your nutritionist advised because I got the wrong info from the one I consulted when first diagnosed

Just because you have diabetes in your family doesn't mean you will get it but if you want info on how to keep your blood glucose low you've come to the right place. We have learned that a low carb high fat diet is the way to keep our blood glucose in check. I made a lifestyle choice 10+ years ago when I was diagnosed with an a1C of 12. Since then I get an A1C every 6 months and I have never had an A1C of over 6. is prediabetic. An A1C is a good indicator of what your blood glucose is doing because it gives an average blood glucose over a 3 month period.

So what can you do. Since you are not diabetic I suggest you get a yearly A1C blood test. If it's in the low 5's you are normal. If it starts to creep up you can change your diet a bit by dropping more carbs and adding good fat and maybe stay drug free for a lifetime.

Right now just watch the sugar content of things and steer clear of low fat things and things with lots of carbs, particularly starches like grains. In fact just eat a good diet with all the food groups and few prepared food options. Manufacturers add sugar when the reduce the fat and there's lots of carbs in prepared food. It's a fallacy that fat makes you fat--it's that carbs that do that.  Carbs are what give us energy .If you are diabetic you would have to drop more carbs and then we add good fats like yogurt, butter cheese and full fat cream. If you don't have carbs for energy your body will switch to fat burning.

I hope this gives you a little insight. If you want more info just ask

Albertaprediabetic
3 hours ago, Dowling said:

Hi Albert, welcome to the forum

It's not surprising that you got no info from your doctor. Doctors and the medical profession know little about diabetes and how to avoid complications. I don't know what your nutritionist advised because I got the wrong info from the one I consulted when first diagnosed

Just because you have diabetes in your family doesn't mean you will get it but if you want info on how to keep your blood glucose low you've come to the right place. We have learned that a low carb high fat diet is the way to keep our blood glucose in check. I made a lifestyle choice 10+ years ago when I was diagnosed with an a1C of 12. Since then I get an A1C every 6 months and I have never had an A1C of over 6. is prediabetic. An A1C is a good indicator of what your blood glucose is doing because it gives an average blood glucose over a 3 month period.

So what can you do. Since you are not diabetic I suggest you get a yearly A1C blood test. If it's in the low 5's you are normal. If it starts to creep up you can change your diet a bit by dropping more carbs and adding good fat and maybe stay drug free for a lifetime.

Right now just watch the sugar content of things and steer clear of low fat things and things with lots of carbs, particularly starches like grains. In fact just eat a good diet with all the food groups and few prepared food options. Manufacturers add sugar when the reduce the fat and there's lots of carbs in prepared food. It's a fallacy that fat makes you fat--it's that carbs that do that.  Carbs are what give us energy .If you are diabetic you would have to drop more carbs and then we add good fats like yogurt, butter cheese and full fat cream. If you don't have carbs for energy your body will switch to fat burning.

I hope this gives you a little insight. If you want more info just ask

Thanks, I'll do a full post with what I've done so far, things I'v tried etc..   I am busy for the next couple days, but I'll make that post sooner than later.

I'm already doing what you've suggested.  Been over a year on less than 30 grams of carbs a day actually.   

I have only gotten my a1c done once and the doctor didn't even mention it when we went over my blood work.  This was about 1 year ebfore another doctor said I was pretty much pre diabetic with a fasting glucose test of 6.1/5.9.  

Dowling

When you have an A1C done don't wait for the doctor to tell you ask for the results or see if you can get them on line--ask at the lab. I get my results on line. You can't know if what you are doing is good if you don't have anything to go by. If you are just starting get an A1C every 3 months. Yes any A1C over 6 is diabetic but if you catch it early it's easier to gain control.

I'll look forward to hearing from you again