Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Eurotoff

Covid Complications

Eurotoff

Hi everyone,

My apology if this is not the right forum but, I badly needed help. Recently, my sister was diagnosed with diabetes. The problem is she was vaccinated one month ago. Now, we are worried what would be the side effect of the vaccine on her medications. Have anyone of you encountered the same? I'm so concerned that it may worsen her condition and medicine intake would be  limited. I'm afraid I might lose her on the process and watching news about increasing number of COVID gives me panic attacks. Please share your thoughts on what we need to do...

meyery2k

From what I remember from my vaccination, there seemed to be a slight increase of my fasting readings for a day or two after the injections.   I had a sore arm and felt slightly unwell for 1 day after jab 1 and distinctly unwell for about 12 hours after jab 2.  I am a T2 and do not take meds for it.  I take medicine for low thyroid, high blood pressure, AFib, and seizures.  So far no difference that I can tell.

As far as COVID, my friend was a breakthrough case.  Vaccinated and he became ill after travel.  He was ill for about 10 days and had a very bad cough.  It is very possible he would have been in the hospital had he not been vaccinated.  The only advice I can offer would be for your sister to mask up, only go out in public if essential, do shopping at times when the stores are not crowded, and sanitize.

TX_Clint

I have many T2 diabetics that have been vaccinated and have had no side effects related to diabetes. I have had zero side effects from the vaccine other than a sore arm for a day. No issues related to diabetes. She should be extra careful of coming into contact with other people and try to stay out of any small enclosed spaces. As far as masks go, wear one as required but act like you don't have one on. 

Dowling

I too had both vaccinations. Other than a sore arm for a day each time I never had any side effects nor any change in my diabetes. With a new diabetic you might see changes but that is normal and has nothing to do with the vaccine. The vaccine does not effect diabetes medication. However she should continue with Covid precautions because even though vaccinated you can get Covid. The vaccine only protects you from severe disease and dying.

Please ask her to join us here. We can help her gain control of her diabetes and prevent diabetes complications. We are a friendly bunch who are all in the same boat and help each other

stevenal

The vaccines were tested on diabetics. Presumably that would include people on medication. My A1C is no different after vaccination. 

Eurotoff

Oh, that's a great relief knowing of no side effect for most. Though, I've read that for people with chronic illness in particular, the already high likelihood of having a concurrent mental health disorder may be exacerbated by their vulnerability to severe illness from COVID-19. Recently, a study also found that 18% of individuals (including people with and without a past psychiatric diagnosis) who received a COVID-19 diagnosis were later diagnosed with a mental health disorder. So this is what I'm going to monitor instead. Need to find ways how to face this covid depression..

adiantum
8 hours ago, Eurotoff said:

Need to find ways how to face this covid depression..

Dont give up on trying Eurotoff. Theres so many new skills, crafts &  exercises to try , just look on youtube.

Dancing is good for the body & brain with so many  styles to  experience from ballet to bellydancing.

Just ask us if you want ideas as we are all keen to help you.

I bought a friend a colouring in book for adults &  many quality pencils to help her through isolation.

I might try macrame one day with an aim of doing a huge wall covering lol but maybe thats too adventurous  as  my knotting skills suck.

It must be difficult for those living in apartments or without a computer, so we have a lot to be thankful for when we can reach out to people or purchase online.

ArrowAntoinette

I remember reading that WHO recommends 150 minutes of moderate-intensity or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity physical activity per week, or a combination of both to stay calm during this pandemic. But, you can try other light activities of your interest. Don't let fear eat you besides you have to be strong for your sister.

Eurotoff
On 8/22/2021 at 6:11 AM, adiantum said:

Dont give up on trying Eurotoff. Theres so many new skills, crafts &  exercises to try , just look on youtube.

Dancing is good for the body & brain with so many  styles to  experience from ballet to bellydancing.

Just ask us if you want ideas as we are all keen to help you.

I bought a friend a colouring in book for adults &  many quality pencils to help her through isolation.

I might try macrame one day with an aim of doing a huge wall covering lol but maybe thats too adventurous  as  my knotting skills suck.

It must be difficult for those living in apartments or without a computer, so we have a lot to be thankful for when we can reach out to people or purchase online.

Thank you for your suggestions, all seems fun but is coloring really effective? I'm not into arts since I'm not creative ever since. This is one of my weak points. 

Eurotoff

Just to share, one of my relatives was vaccinated with J&J but, it triggered his heart condition and died instantly. Has anyone of your relatives experienced the same?

Dowling

Precisely why I wouldn't recommend either J&J or Astra-Zennica to anyone . There have been too many incidents associated with them. It seems like the old way of making vaccines is not good in the case of Covid. If your relative had discussed it with his doctor or he had done a bit of research he would have gone with an hMNR vaccine. Either Pfizer or Moderna would have been a better choice for him.

adiantum

Covid itself can affect the heart as what is said to happened here  this week when a woman in her ealy 30's died the day after diagnosed with covid.

I dont think J& J is available her yet nor Moderna. Pfizer is only available for the young.

I believe our prime minister went bargain hunting & bought up big on AstraZenica & made it the only vaccine  available for those over 60.

Now he's having a dummy spit because  many refuse it.

Maybe co-incidental but theye stopped publishing the tally of those that died of blood clotting.

1 hour ago, Eurotoff said:

Just to share, one of my relatives was vaccinated with J&J but, it triggered his heart condition and died instantly. Has anyone of your relatives experienced the same?

Edited by adiantum