Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
halia

Managing diabetes during Covid-19 study

halia

"Lockdown measures have a profound effect on many aspects of daily life relevant for diabetes self-management. We assessed whether lockdown measures, in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, differentially affect perceived stress, body weight, exercise and related this to glycemic control in people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes.

In total, 435 people were included (type 1 diabetes n=280, type 2 diabetes n=155). An increase in perceived stress and anxiety, weight gain and less exercise was observed in both groups. There was improvement in glycemic control in the group with the highest HbA1c tertile (type 1 diabetes: −0.39% (−4.3 mmol/mol) (p<0.0001 and type 2 diabetes: −0.62% (−6.8 mmol/mol) (p=0.0036). Perceived stress was associated with difficulty with glycemic control (p<0.0001).

An increase in perceived stress and anxiety, weight gain and less exercise but no deterioration of glycemic control occurs in both people with relatively well-controlled type 1 and type 2 diabetes during short-term lockdown measures. As perceived stress showed to be associated with glycemic control, this provides opportunities for healthcare professionals to put more emphasis on psychological aspects during diabetes care consultations."

Are you guys managing your weight and glycemic control well these days? Just a little bit concerned.

meyery2k

Glycemic control, yes.

Weight is a little higher than I like.  About 7 kilos over.  I anticipate getting back on the road will help.  Also working on eating less.  When I am in the house, I tend to overeat.  

adiantum

I'm out of control with over eating even though its mostly low carb soups. It's like an eating frenzy with  no exercise to burn it off.

It Winter here  so too cold & wet to play in the garden & our lockdown instructs us to stay home.

Dowling
7 hours ago, meyery2k said:

Glycemic control, yes.

Weight is a little higher than I like.  About 7 kilos over.  I anticipate getting back on the road will help.  Also working on eating less.  When I am in the house, I tend to overeat.  

I agree. I've gained a couple of pounds too but glycenic control is still good. I too tend to overeat when just sitting around the house doing nothing. At first it was OK and I caught up with some needed cleaning. Now my windows sparkle and my closets are organized. My seldom used crystal shines and there's not much to keep me occupied. Looking forward to getting back to normal and getting out of the house and doing things.

halia
On 8/24/2021 at 2:33 PM, adiantum said:

I'm out of control with over eating even though its mostly low carb soups. It's like an eating frenzy with  no exercise to burn it off.

It Winter here  so too cold & wet to play in the garden & our lockdown instructs us to stay home.

Alright, I wish you get right on track soon. I've read this from a good article, might as well share it here, it's a good read. Stay safe everyone.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7802391/

bespawlerbison

The restrictions that quarantine places on everyday life likely altered and interrupted my daily routines, as a result I've gained a little weight. but my glycemic is still under control.

ArrowAntoinette

I can relate sooooo much. I have totally gained weight by this pandemic. I am struggling to have a diet that would somehow lose weight, well apart from simple daily exercises.

I am monitoring my sugar level since most of the food we do eat everyday arent burn. 

halia
On 8/31/2021 at 12:06 PM, Eurotoff said:

Most encountered problems here! Trying my best to exercise at home. Following some YT exercises videos.

Hi Eurotoff, can you share what kind of exercise you are following on youtube? Wait, are you T1 or T2? Cheers.