Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
ran23

Practical Home exercise machine?

ran23

What is the most practical home machine for us?   treadmill, bicycle, or rowing thing??  I walk some 4 miles a day, but the heavy smoke days sometimes keep in inside.   Not sure my lower back would like the rowing set up.    just a general idea. 

meyery2k

I have come to like the bike trainer.  It is a workout that is harder than being on the road.  Just need to set up a strong fan to keep cool.

Dowling

If you already have a bicycle the wind trainer Mike suggested is a good choice. It's much cheaper than exercise equipment and wouldn't be hard on your back. No more than riding a bike outside. For one thing it would be easy to store away and you'd be able to use the bike outside if you chose to. I agree that it may be a harder workout than on the road because you never get to coast but it all depends on the resistance you put it on and how long you ride. Mike likes to ride long distances.

If you didn't want to go that route I suggest that you go somewhere you can try out different machines and see how they work for you and what you want to accomplish. People can offer opinions but in the long run only you can decide what's best for you. It would be a waste of money if you bought something on someone else's say so and found out it wasn't for you

Hammer

I agree with Dowling...go to a store that sells exercise bikes and try them out.  If you have back problems like I do, then a recumbent stationary bike is the type to look at.  This is similar to the bike that I have, but it's best to try them out first, to see which one is right for you.  I have my bike located in my basement family room, which is air conditioned, and it's in front of my big screen TV.  I'll usually record some movie or TV show from the night before, then I'll watch it as I pedal my bike.

Edited by Hammer

adiantum

After viewing the different types suitable for you at the store.. check the ad's for used euipment, as not everyone decides to keep it after theyve gone through that stage.

ran23

There used to be a used sports place, I'll have to check on that.  right now I swing 15- and 20-pound hex-bells, just found 25- out in the garage. I understand I walk 4 miles a day, but the fires North and South of me is making that hard.  thanks all.  I've had both Stationary Bike and Treadmill over the years.  At 67, not sure what I want.  

halia

Hi @ran23! You really have to opt to use flat treadmills nowadays, I put mine on my terrace with a little garden so I can still breathe fresh air. I'd walk for 2 -3 miles, that's good for about 30-45 minutes a day. :)