Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

sam_gordon

Hello/Introduction

sam_gordon

Hello.

I feel like I'm late to the party.  Despite a couple of years of my PCP telling me "watch what you eat" (and me ignoring her), I was diagnosed as a T2 diabetic back in June.  At the time, my A1c was 10+. That wasn't from my PCP (long story), but I made an appointment with my PCP for that week.   She put me on Metformin and said "cut carbs".  The other instructions... stay away from fruit, sugar, pasta, etc (all the good stuff, right?).  

A month later I went back to her and my A1c was 8.9(?).  It was only two weeks after that before I could an appointment with a nutritionist.  She said "DON'T eliminate carbs.  Just cut back, greatly, but don't give them up."  Since then (almost a month ago), although I haven't been eating what or how much I used to, I do have some "treats".  

I try to exercise, but with two kids active in HS sports, the time available for that isn't that great.  My daily glucose numbers have been averaging <130, with occasional spikes after I've been bad (I had some ice cream and put some caramel on top one night and the next morning the reading was 180. 😱

I'm still trying to learn what to have, not have, how much, etc.  

I'm hoping this is a place to ask questions (seems like it), but don't know if the questions belong here, or in the T2 forum, or what's the best bet.

FWIW, I have lost 20# since the middle of June.  Do I feel "better"?  Hard to say.  I didn't feel "bad" before.  

Anyway, hello!

adiantum

Hi sam-gordon, No you are not too late and you are very welcome here.

You had a great PCP that had your A1c on its way down & the right advice was to "cut carbs".

It's the nutritionist  thats giving advice which just doesnt work for diabetics, we just cannot tolerate carbs so get back to your PCP's advice .

Most of us will have the odd cheat like you did with the  ice cream  but we dont make it a regular habit.

I found the best thing to do at first was to count carbs I consumed & kept it down to 100g a day.

Dont go hungry as that just encourages binge eating. Dont go on the low fat diet as its the fats that keep you feeling full .

Low fat products are packed with carbs to make them tolerable.

You too can enjoy the meals with your teenagers but with modifications. Pasta dishes for them but instead use zuchini  spirals or cauliflower rice with yours. They might come to enjoy it with you . Eggplant Parmigiana is a fav of mine.

Google low carb recipes or look in our recipe forum here.

You will notice that we are not all the same , known as YMMD your milage may differ.. I'm guilty of having too much & feel very sleepy after a normal sized meal. Reducing the size & having 4 small meals a day suits me but others can tolerate different even occasional fasting.

I also keep a small bag of cashews in the car & my backpack to help keep my energy up when out & about.

Nuts are a great food source, as are eggs.

Exercise is important  to keep the blood  flowing freely but that doesnt mean you have to join a gym or run marathons. 

Walking is good as is dancing, cycling or  gardening.

Please feel free to ask whatever you like, we are all here to help you.

~Lee

meyery2k

Your story sounds pretty familiar to me...

Carbs - The trick is knowing what carbs to eat.  Simple starches like sugar, rice, grains, and potatoes are easily converted to glucose.  Complex carbs such as those found in non-root vegetables are much better.  Zucchini, cauliflower, mushrooms, kale, are good carbs.  Berries in small quantities can also be good.

Fat - Fat will give you energy and help you feel full.  Oils, cream, cheese, and other fats are OK.  Fatty cuts of meat are also good.  Fish is also a good meal.

Exercise - I lost 75 pounds working on walking 10,000 steps a day.  I too, had many reasons to not do it but I committed myself to doing it.  I am now into bicycle riding because walking is too slow, and I hate running.

I found great advice here.  My A1c was 8.5.  With diet and exercise, I was able to get in the high 4's.  No more meds for me.  Lost a bunch of weight, better BP,  good cholesterol tests.

Do you have a meter and strips?  If insurance only provides enough strips to test once a day, go to Walmart and get a Relion Prime meter.  Get 100 strips.  The Relion strips are among the least expensive you will find.  Let us know when you have strips and we will explain eating to your meter which can really unlock the door to good control.

We all welcome you and will help you with any questions. ~ Mike

sam_gordon

Thanks.  I've found over the last couple weeks my numbers "yo yoing" (is that a word?).  I usually take my sugar once in the morning (before eating) and once at night (2 hours after dinner & meds).  It's been really high in the evenings (150+) but lower in the mornings (~120).  BUT, for most days I'm leaving work then going to a HS soccer game, then home.  I don't think I'm drinking enough water at the games and that might be affecting my numbers.  As well as the fast food burger (no fries) I'll grab on the way to the game.  Although I once had a hot dog at a game (no bun) and my number was STILL high.  

What's the solution when you're on the road, need a quick meal, and preferably something portable?  

The first couple of weeks after I was diagnosed, I was keeping carbs <100/day.  Sure, my numbers dropped, but I was pretty miserable.  Always hungry.  Now I'm eating a little more, but trying to eat better than what I used to.  

Another question... how long does a meal affect your readings?  Does what I eat for lunch today (example) affect tomorrow morning's readings?  Tomorrow nights? 

adiantum

It mostly takes 2 hours after a meal for the BG to return to pre meal readings, although  3 hours can happen.

There was one festive season when I was out of my usual regime  & those numbers kept coming back even   3 days after.

Fast foods are loaded with carbs, even that hotdog would have a high carb filling & dont forget the beverages they sell unless you order water.

As I said,  I keep small bags of cashews in the car for snacks but other nuts would be just as good & better then any drive thru franchise could offer.

If I know I could be delayed when out, I'll take a couple of hard boiled eggs or olives.  Gherkins / pickles are great in a ziplock bag & can even get you out of a sweet craving as does tooth paste.Ziplock bags are also good for keeping  mayo or dressing for those eggs.

Theres no fun if hungry & it can cause over eating.

I have a Sunbeam egg cooker & use it so often that I keep it on the benchtop. Eggs always turn out as wanted & are easy to peel.

Cheese crackers are really nice & very easy to make. Place a spoonfull of grated Parmesan on baking paper & microwave for about 1min.

It just takes a little preparation & you too could enjoy these " little picnic excursions" like I do.

Water is vital !! Keep your fluids up.

Dowling

Get yourself an insulated cooler. The kind they make for six packs of beer or any small cooler is good and some freezer packs.. Then you can take lots of things for after work when you can't get home for a meal. Keep firm veggies cut up and ready for snacking. A peeled cucumber will do fine in a ziplock bag for the day. Carrots cauliflower,  broccoli, slices of peppers-again in a ziplock bag. Hard boiled eggs ,cheese and kielbasa  can go in bags too. Pecans, almonds and walnuts make good snacks-salted or unsalted A small container of ranch dressing for egg and veggie dipping is good too. Add a few berries and bottled water or a go through coffee or tea and you have a good meal with a lot less carbs. In fact any low carb food is good and won't spoil in that insulated cooler. If is very hot I suggest that you take it inside instead of leaving it in the car.

Atkins makes a good protein drink with few carbs and also protein bars

You can arrange things together in the fridge the night before-- then in the cooler in the morning and you are good to go. 

meyery2k

When I cycle, I carry nuts and snack packs of peanut butter.  Pre-COVID, I had some spots to lunch set out where I could get some great meals.  Things like fish and salad, roasted chicken and salad, steak and (yep), salad.  Lots of ranch or blue cheese dressing on that salad.  Fat keeps me going.  Low carb, done right, is not miserable at all BUT it does require some adaptation.

My friend was a semi-pro racer and tri-athlete (non-diabetic) and he swears by the snack packs of macadamia nuts.  They work very well for me also.  They seem to be the right combination of protein, fat, carbs, and salt.  You might see energy chews or tabs but those are pure glucose.

Hydration is important.  Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.  If you work out, electrolytes are important.  Nuun makes some great electrolyte.  No matter the flavor, the taste is horrible though.

When we start cutting carbs, we do feel unwell for a time.  We are used to high BG and our body doesn't like the numbers coming down.  We might even feel hypoglycemic when we are not.  It also takes a little time for the body to get used to burning fat for energy vs carbs.  The scariest time for me was when my vision blurred.  I learned it was my eyeballs changing shape due to lower glucose and my far vision was better than ever.  I need glasses to read but that is from being 54.

Make small changes.  No one here is going to promote no carbs.  It is not sustainable.  Eat the right carbs.

Try out eating to your meter.  It is very educational.  Sadly, fasting numbers are often the last to change so while it is a good item to know, it is one piece of data.

My own personal experience, is that if I do indulge in bread, pasta, or rice, I will spike.  It takes about 3 or 4 hours to get back to normal.  This would indicate insulin resistance.  If I do just the one day, that is probably it for consequences.  If I rinse and repeat, then I will notice an increase in my fasting number after 2 or 3 days.  Potatoes are more forgiving as long as I don't eat too much but, they too, will catch up to me.  I learned all this by eating to the meter.  Now I hardly think about diet since I know what will work with me and what I like to eat.