Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

isee

Januvia, Metformin, Lantus, all compromised legally?

isee

Now I suddenly discover Januvia, Metformin and Lantus are all under threat of recall.  Hope to get input here about what others are doing about this.  I thought the metformin in the extended release Janumet was OK but am now beginning to wonder, given the lawsuits over Januvia and the kerfuffle with NDMA content in SOME metformin.  I try to keep to 30 carbs a day but of late have gone off the rails.  Am also very sedentary which I am trying sowly to remedy (short daily walks, a real struggle).  Of course, pandemic has been a great excuse to do nothing, go nowhere and not go walking anywhere.  I will be interested in the positive approaches others are taking to these 3 drugs and suggestions for others, or for none.  

Dowling

Those rumors have been circulating since 2006. Ignore them; they are groundless. 

The Pandemic shouldn't be a reason not to walk. You are outside, can keep away from people if you choose a time when few are around and can do it masked. I have continued to walk during the pandemic. Think about this. When the body is sedentary it wants to remain sedentary. Once you do an activity for a while it becomes addictive. Try parking far away when you go for groceries or anywhere and walking to the store. That means you have to push the cart back to load the car. That gives you a walk with a purpose. Sometimes my walking consists of going up and down stairs--like on washing days. Sometimes I put on some music and dance. Often my exercise is gardening or shoveling snow. I just try to do something active every day. If I miss a day I feel lethargic and out of sorts. The saying( a body in motion wants to stay in motion) is true.

Give exercise 3 weeks and I guarantee you'll miss it when you don't do it.

meyery2k

Spot on!  Now that exercise has become a habit, I get down if I can't do it.  Those first few weeks getting started were tough.  Everything seemed to hurt.  Start walking and treat it as a serious activity in life.  Walk 2 days, take one to rest.  Rest days are vital.  

A good mantra that helped me was the slowest walker, swimmer, runner, or cyclist will lap the one that stayed home.

Dowling
40 minutes ago, stevenal said:

Amneal Metformin was recalled for NDMA, no rumor there.

See https://www.valisure.com/blog/valisure-news/study-of-crowdsourced-metformin-tablets-from-individuals-reveals-widespread-ndma-contamination/ to see how your your manufacturer compares.

You really have to be careful on the internet. I looked Valisure up. It's a company that has opened an on line pharmacy-Medley. They say they critique different medications but do they really. There is no independent body overseeing their so called research so they could say anything about a medication to guide you to one they sell which could cost more than the one prescribed in the first place. Metforman is the cheapest diabetes medication and the most prescribed. Could it be that they want to steer you to a more expensive medication.

All medications have side effects. Most people have only mild side effects but a few could have more dangerous side effects. That doesn't mean the medication is bad.

Lastly don't believe everything you read on line. Half of it is garbage. Research the source and you'll find the truth of the matter or go to a site that you know tells the truth. I trust Mayo Clinic for medical advice but I still do some research because while most things the say are true there could be a little bit of misinformation too.

Edited by Dowling

isee

Hundreds of other drugs, including extended release metformin, have been recalled because of the cancer causing agent NDMA, that is not garbage. Do you read the news?  Januvia is in the law courts being sued, are you aware?   Lantus, now out of patent, is being discovered not all it was cracked up to be.  I look forward to hearing about useful data and strategies.Thanks. 

TX_Clint
1 hour ago, isee said:

Hundreds of other drugs, including extended release metformin, have been recalled because of the cancer causing agent NDMA, that is not garbage. Do you read the news?  Januvia is in the law courts being sued, are you aware?   Lantus, now out of patent, is being discovered not all it was cracked up to be.  I look forward to hearing about useful data and strategies.Thanks. 

The issue of NDMA was in some batches by some manufacturers but the FDA is monitoring the issue. I still take Metformin with little concern as I buy a reputable manufacturers product which has never had any issues. I know little of the issue with Januvia as I would never take that type of medication. I researched how it works and determined myself that there was potential to further damage my pancreas. I used Lantus and continue to use the generic equivalent. It is all it was/is cracked up to be for me. It does wonders helping to keep my blood sugar under control. I would remind everyone that before taking any medication do your research and make your decision with a consultation with a Doctor you trust. The final decision is yours. If you don't think the benefits outweigh the risks tell your Doctor you need to do something different to control your blood sugar.

Dowling
7 hours ago, isee said:

Let me tell you about law suits. The USA has the most law suits in the world. Lawyers actually recruit people for law suits. I had severe Osteoporosis and was on a Bisphosphonate ( Fosamax was the one I was on at the time) to put in bone building calls. All of a sudden there was a big hullabaloo over Bisphosphonates causing a severe jaw deterioration and brittle bones. Law suits where flying all over the place and people were refusing to take this necessary medication. Dentists were refusing to treat people on bisphosphonates. When I investigated I found that all cases of this jaw disease and brittle bones were in people who had bone cancer or some bone disease and were given very high doses of the drugs. All the law suit cases must have been thrown out of court because after a while the uproar died down and those drugs are still on the market 20 some years later. I am still on bone builders and will be all my life but there are newer easier to take(but expensive) drugs on the market which my insurance covers but I was on Bisphosphonates for about 12 years and the only reason I stopped them was because the newer ones are easier to take and I have coverage for them.

Januvia was claimed to cause pancreatitis but that claim was debunked a quite a while back probably close to 10 years ago.  You can get pancreatitis from out of control diabetes. I imagine there are still lawyers hoping to cash in but that too will go nowhere. Just because there is a law suit does not make things true. Law suits only mean someone has decided to sue someone but until there's a ruling against someone it has not been proved. I've been on Januvia for 10+ years with no side effects what-so-ever and I'll continue to take it.

A caution--Don't be so quick to jump on the bandwagon. Do a little investigation to get to the truth

stevenal

Don't like Valisure? How about the FDA? https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/amneal-pharmaceuticals-llc-issues-voluntary-nationwide-recall-metformin-hydrochloride-extended. No rumor there. Did you investigate?

Side effects I can understand. Contamination with non-therapeutic carcinogens is a completely different story.

Dowling
18 hours ago, isee said:

There are 115 companies making Metforman. There were only 14 who were told to recall MDMA and it was only in some batches. A recall does not mean it is going to be banned. It means those manufacturers have to take them off the shelves and destroy them. What it means over all is that those who oversee drug companies are doing a good job

isee
On 9/26/2021 at 8:42 AM, Dowling said:

Let me tell you about law suits. The USA has the most law suits in the world. Lawyers actually recruit people for law suits. I had severe Osteoporosis and was on a Bisphosphonate ( Fosamax was the one I was on at the time) to put in bone building calls. All of a sudden there was a big hullabaloo over Bisphosphonates causing a severe jaw deterioration and brittle bones. Law suits where flying all over the place and people were refusing to take this necessary medication. Dentists were refusing to treat people on bisphosphonates. When I investigated I found that all cases of this jaw disease and brittle bones were in people who had bone cancer or some bone disease and were given very high doses of the drugs. All the law suit cases must have been thrown out of court because after a while the uproar died down and those drugs are still on the market 20 some years later. I am still on bone builders and will be all my life but there are newer easier to take(but expensive) drugs on the market which my insurance covers but I was on Bisphosphonates for about 12 years and the only reason I stopped them was because the newer ones are easier to take and I have coverage for them.

Januvia was claimed to cause pancreatitis but that claim was debunked a quite a while back probably close to 10 years ago.  You can get pancreatitis from out of control diabetes. I imagine there are still lawyers hoping to cash in but that too will go nowhere. Just because there is a law suit does not make things true. Law suits only mean someone has decided to sue someone but until there's a ruling against someone it has not been proved. I've been on Januvia for 10+ years with no side effects what-so-ever and I'll continue to take it.

A caution--Don't be so quick to jump on the bandwagon. Do a little investigation to get to the truth

isee

tks again Dowling.  I do know about lawsuits, I spent years suing doctors and hopitals for medical negligence, in the 80s, and it is not easy to bring a legal case in the uk, trust me, nothing like the usa at all. From my extensive reading on bisphonates, several years ago, the new bone created is dry and brittle.  More likely to break with falling.   Thanks for the info on pancreatitis, it is useful.  I am jumping off the bandwagon now, if I ever was on it.

isee
30 minutes ago, isee said:

tks Dowling!

I was rather hoping for positive approaches others are taking with respect to other, or different, or no  drugs, maybe using LCHF, but not being berated for using pandemic as an excuse, which was said in jest.  You obviously have no conception of the affect of mood, panic disorder, past trauma, depression, on behaviour.  My bad perhaps for not being more specific about my needs.  I am  a bit overhelmed with so much to cope with right now.  I will try to mention only one thing at a time in the future to obviate any confusion.

isee
1 hour ago, isee said:

ok here is a bit of research on Januvia, which you say was debunked close to 10 years ago ... the ruling has been overturned and case still ongoing..... 

https://www.mcgowanhood.com/2018/09/18/januvia-and-byetta-lawsuits-are-going-back-to-court/

https://www.drugwatch.com/januvia/lawsuits/

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/viewer.html?pdfurl=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.ca9.uscourts.gov%2Fdatastore%2Fmemoranda%2F2017%2F12%2F06%2F15-56997.pdf&clen=86671&chunk=true

adiantum

@isee I've not contributed to your discussions as I try to avoid conversations on medications .

Ive had  experienced numerous side effects throughout my life that I now prefer to eat a balanced diet as much as possible to be free of meds.

I congratulate you for researching & find it's the best method to make decisions that benefit you.

These are challenging times worldwide and we should be more supportive .

Perhaps 30g carbs is too few at this stage but keep in mind it's a better journey  when we get back on the wagon.

Would it help you to post your morning BG numbers on the fasting thread?

I  do even on high  days as it keeps me honest to the cause throughout the day. It's not a competition but an excellent tool for personal control.

Dowling
4 hours ago, isee said:

ok here is a bit of research on Januvia, which you say was debunked close to 10 years ago ... the ruling has been overturned and case still ongoing..... 

https://www.mcgowanhood.com/2018/09/18/januvia-and-byetta-lawsuits-are-going-back-to-court/

https://www.drugwatch.com/januvia/lawsuits/

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/viewer.html?pdfurl=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.ca9.uscourts.gov%2Fdatastore%2Fmemoranda%2F2017%2F12%2F06%2F15-56997.pdf&clen=86671&chunk=true

As I said filing a law suit does not make it true. If the only grounds are that people were not warned even if it has no validity that has been taken care of by the sheet of info I was handed when I first went on Jsnuvia. It listed all those things as side effects.

I know there are still warnings of brittle bones and jaw deterioration listed on Fosamax even though it was never true. Pharmaceutical companies cover all the bases in case of law suits