Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

freedombelle

Introducing myself

freedombelle

I was recently diagnosed as prediabetic. Wow, I have been doing so much research on diet. So far my favorites are Kroger Carb Master yogurt, and eggs. 

Today is our 13th anniversary, and we usually go out to eat. Our original plan before knowing the diagnosis was an Italian place that I love the Fettuccini Alfredo....no way any more! Now my research had me deciding on Mexican or Chinese. I finally chose Chinese, as I really like egg fu yung,

so I will have that tonight, the sauce in the littles side cups I will use very sparingly. It is hard watching my husband and father in law, such as this morning, earing sausage and pancakes while I ate my yogurt. So tonight will be a treat. I have been charting in a notebook my daily carb intake, my doctor said 30 grams at each meal, and I only went over once in 2 weeks, I am learning- which led me to this website. Pleased to be here. 

meyery2k

Welcome!  You are on the right track.

If you enjoy sausage, go for it, instead of pancakes sauté some mushrooms in the left over oil.  Throw a couple eggs on the side if you like.

Eating fat does not make you fat, it fills you up and gives you energy.

But, you have the right idea and thinking out of the box will get you far :) ~ Mike 

stevenal

Welcome,

That's quite a long list of ingredients in that yogurt. They even added starch. I prefer the just eat real food approach. I like Fage 5%, but any unsweetened full fat greek style yogurt will be low carb and have ingredients you can pronounce. I put a few blueberries on top when they are in season.

Don't forget rice is right up there with fettuccine as high carb.

I suggest getting a meter to see how foods affect your blood glucose.

adiantum

Welcome freedombelle, do try to get a blood glucose meter & test strips so you ca see which foods you can tolerate & those you cant.

Walmart seems to have the cheapest in the US. Test before a meal & again two hours later to see if you have returned to close the first reading.

avoid processed foods that are  said to be " light or no added sugar" as theyre packed with extra carbs to make them tolerable.

Google is a great tool for finding  the carb content in foods. I no longer have traditional breakfasts prefering left overs from last nights dinners , even soup.

You can make your own low carb pancakes but many are very disappointed after years of enjoying traditional recipes.

I've always preferred picnics to restaraunts  which has me enjoying beautiful locations with foods I enjoy & can even have a " cheat"  food like bread as I walk more to  compensate.

Walking or exercises are of equal importance to your diet as we must keep the blood  flowing freely.

We are all here wanting to  help you .

Lee

freedombelle
2 hours ago, stevenal said:

Welcome,

That's quite a long list of ingredients in that yogurt. They even added starch. I prefer the just eat real food approach. I like Fage 5%, but any unsweetened full fat greek style yogurt will be low carb and have ingredients you can pronounce. I put a few blueberries on top when they are in season.

Don't forget rice is right up there with fettuccine as high carb.

I suggest getting a meter to see how foods affect your blood glucose.

I threw away every grain of rice that came with my egg foo yung meal for sure, I have avoided rice, that is easy, I never cared for rice. I will have to research more on the yogurt and check out Greek in comparison, thanks. 

freedombelle

I threw away every grain of rice that came with my egg foo yung meal for sure, I have avoided rice, that is easy, I never cared for rice. I will have to research more on the yogurt and check out Greek in comparison, thanks Stevenal

freedombelle

Gathering opinions on this question, because if it is not a good idea then I will not do it again. We ran errands and time got away, so we stopped at Burger King recently and used coupons for a meal, I got a whopper and removed all of the buns, and ate 1/4 of the small order of French fries. It is rare to eat at Burger King. Speaking of hamburger, I see there are no carbs in hamburger, is it ok to eat as is chicken and fish? Thank you to all, I really read and re-read your replies, I want to know as much as I can and am glad to have this forum to get some insight. 

Dowling

hi Freedombelle

You could have had that sausage with eggs. In fact you could have cut up the sausage, added a bit of onion and green pepper and eggs and made an omelet. Often when making food for others I manage to put a twist on things and make something filling for me too. Often I make a low carb smoothie for breakfast--A handful of frozen strawberries a small bit of cream cheese sweetener to taste and unsweetened almond milk and whirl in a blender. Tastes good and is filling. 

For instance when making spaghetti or lasagna I'll save some of the meat and sauce, spiralize a zucchini. I throw the zucchini in a frying pan, dump my meat and sauce on top. By the time it's warmed through it's ready.

There is so much you can do to eat satisfying meals if you think outside the box but that will come with time. You have to have a satisfying diet to stick to low carb and just eating things like yogurt and what you can buy off the shelf isn't going to cut it. There are all kinds of yogurt and some are loaded with carbs, so do read labels

As others have said --do get yourself a meter. Testing is the only sure way to know how and which food effects you. Every diabetic is different and what one can eat the other may not be able to without a spike in blood glucose

There are no carbs in any meat as long as it's not breaded or has glaze or something added. Yes hamburger and beef is a good choice as well as chicken fish or eggs. I make hamburger patties at home I add onion flakes , a bit of grated zucchini salt and pepper and an egg and mix it up. I make about 6 patties at a time. I fry the patties and then mix up some knor gravy base with water, pour it over the burgers and thicken with a small bit of Xanthium gum. Because I live alone I freeze what I don't eat. I usually make more than 1 meal at a time and freeze what I don't eat. Often when I have company I often cook something similar and get my meal out of the freezer

Edited by Dowling