Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pam

Buttermilk substitute

pam

I have a recipe that calls for marinating something in buttermilk. From everything I've read, it has a lot of sugar -- 15 grams!

Any suggestions on what I can substitute that will be low carb and very low sugar?

Belinda

any thing that I bake or cook that needs buttermilk I use skim milk with a splash of lemon juice...there is a certain ratio but since I use it often I just eyeball it....sorry.

Penny

Because I never have buttermilk on hand, I always use a tablespoon of vinegar to a cup of milk. Never tried it with soy milk, but it might work.

Mister Q

How much buttermilk are you actually going to use is what I would look at, I would be happy using a teaspoon of honey in a recipe rather than several tablespoons of something with a much lower sugar content.

Like Belinda i squueze lemon into milk and leave it about an hour (dont forget milk has about 25g per pint!)

Mister Q
I marinated it in no-fat ranch dressing instead and it was fine!

Hope you made sure it was made with real ranches *groan*

beicholz

:D Here's some relief on this issue: Buttermilk is perfect for diabetics. Why? The sugar in buttermilk, like all dairy products, is Lactose. Lactose tends not to raise blood sugar like other sugars. If you don't believe it, try drinking a large glass and taking a reading. If you're like me, you'll get almost no reaction.

As a Type II diabetic, I drink lowfat milk and buttermilk all the time. My A1C is 4.9.

Enjoy your recipe, and remember, not all sugars raise blood sugar!

BlueSky
... try drinking a large glass and taking a reading. If you're like me, you'll get almost no reaction. ...

You're weird ... :T . Milk sends my blood glucose through the roof! Especially the low-fat stuff. The lactose gets converted to glucose, just like what happens to the fructose in fruit.

Welcome to the forums! ;)

Staceyy

I buy whole buttermilk and mix it with half water to use in my recipes. This cuts the carbs in half. I also do this with whole milk. There is no noticeable difference in the taste of the finished product.

Stacey

The Diabetic Pastry Chef

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.