Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cyborg

Symlin

lelggren
Are you using the square wave with Symlin? and for how long a duration after eating?

Ever since Cyborg mentioned using a dual bolus, I have tried both dual and square bolusing. So far, the square bolus works really great. The dual works sometimes, depending on what food it is, but the square seems to work in most cases.

bigsapper

I'm not using the square wave feature although I'm researching that now.

My after-meal BG readings are taken in a window of 2-4hrs after I eat.

sjradio

I was given the brochure for Symilin, I have a couple of concerns,

1, I don't like the fact that I would have to give injections again. I'm currently on the pump and love the lack of daily injections.. Is this in a pill form?? Plus the injections are only supposed to be given in the leg or abdomen. Not really practical.

2. I already have a high nausea problem. I've got some acid reflux problems and the naseau side effect would really make me even more hesitant to the symilin.

3. From what I've read, this would only be for meals over 250 calories or 30 carbs. Gee that could be every one. Which for me eliminates the cause for getting the pump.

4. The weight loss is appealing, I've been stuck around 180 for a while. But the naseau and the high probabilites of a severe Low, I don't think it's worth it.

Cyborg

I've never had any nausea myself. I don't take it with every meal as I haven't worked up to 30 carbs for every meal yet.

lelggren

I usually eat 30 or more carbs per meal. But, I don't mind giving the little extra injection again. Heck, I did it for so many years, why not? After all, getting away from injections is not the reason that I went on the pump.

As far as the nausea goes, I have not gotten sick from it yet. That was one of my biggest concerns before going on it. I was not going to take something that was going to make me feel horrible all the time. But, we need to remember that side effects are not always the same in everyone. Some get them nasty bad, and some don't get them at all. Really, worst case, you would start taking it, get a bit sick, and then have to go off of it.

If your dr thinks you would be a good candidate, read as much as you can about it, and think about it, and make the decision you feel would be best for you in your situations. Good luck with whatever you decide though!

Cyborg

I wonder why you have to eat 30g of carbs to take the Symlin and why you can't simply take less Symlin if you eat less than 30g of carbs... :hmmmm2:

Angelique

I started on Symlin late December and it was not a good experience. I had so much trouble with it over the 2 months I took it. It raised my A1C and I felt terrible and realized I was not taking that much less insulin to justify taking it. The only thing I did like about it was the fact that I could eat a bowl of cereal and bolus up 6 units and not have to worry about going to high from the cereal. I did however discover when I took the Symlin I had to adjust my insulin to where I had a square wave bolus over 3 hours to prevent from dropping low or going high. It did work but it was far to much work for such little results. I never lost weight, in fact the only thing I lost was my appetite. If I didn't eat within the first 5 minutes of taking Symlin I had no appetite to eat at all.

Anyone want to buy 5 bottles of Symlin. :wink:

Cyborg
I started on Symlin late December and it was not a good experience. I had so much trouble with it over the 2 months I took it. It raised my A1C and I felt terrible and realized I was not taking that much less insulin to justify taking it. The only thing I did like about it was the fact that I could eat a bowl of cereal and bolus up 6 units and not have to worry about going to high from the cereal. I did however discover when I took the Symlin I had to adjust my insulin to where I had a square wave bolus over 3 hours to prevent from dropping low or going high. It did work but it was far to much work for such little results. I never lost weight, in fact the only thing I lost was my appetite. If I didn't eat within the first 5 minutes of taking Symlin I had no appetite to eat at all.

Anyone want to buy 5 bottles of Symlin. :wink:

You say it raised your a1c and you felt terrible, but then you go on to state that it worked as expected in all other aspects. Were you getting nausea? Symlin itself doesn't cause a rise in a1c. Were your bg levels out of control during this time period?

You also stated that you lost appetite, but not any weight. Were you eating alot even though you were not hungry?

Angelique
Were you getting nausea? Symlin itself doesn't cause a rise in a1c. Were your bg levels out of control during this time period?

You also stated that you lost appetite, but not any weight. Were you eating alot even though you were not hungry?

The Symlin is known to cause nausea and reduce appetite. I did not get nausiated but I did lose my appetite w/in minutes of taking it. I don't eat a lot and my thyroid is what has kept me from losing weight not food, I'm not a big eater. My doctor thought that maybe the Symlin might aid in helping me lose weight but it had no such effect.

You are right Symlin does not cause a rise in A1C levels but trying to work with it and find what doses of insluin worked for me caused my sugar levels to fluctuate so much and out of control that it in turn caused a higher A1C after a couple of months taking it. I have stopped now for a couple months and do not have the ups and downs as I did before. The only thing I said I liked was that it did help in fighting the high carbs of the cereal I ate so I didn't have that dragging feeling I normally get after eating cereal but that doesn't mean it worked pefectly with each type of meal, just the cereal.

Angelique

I forgot to add that I was only reducing my total insulin intake to 8 units per day and that is not a large amount to justify taking it. I didn't take it for my 3rd meal b/c I don't eat more than 30 carbs for dinner. My biggest meal is breakfast and a sandwhich for lunch.

Cyborg

As some of you might know, I started eating cereal for breakfast yesterday. I've been eating a pretty low carb breakfast for a very long time and I figured it was time to "kick the habit".

Yesterday I had two of the mini-boxes of Raisin Bran with 1 cup of milk for a total of 68 carbs. I took my Symlin and did my insulin bolus of 2/3 of the non-symlin dose of insulin with a 40/60 combo bolus over 2 hours. It didn't work out so well since 2 hours after eating my bg was 285. I ended up doing a correction bolus to bring my bg back down.

Today I had the same exact breakfast. I took my Symlin and insulin, but this time I took the insulin all at once rather than with a combo bolus. I still used 2/3 of the non-symlin dose of insulin, but being cautious I used a slightly lower insulin to carb ratio and a slightly higher ISF than I normally use in the morning. My bg was 148 when I started the experiment and 2 hours after eating my bg was 200. Major improvement since my bg only increased approx 50 points!

Tomorrow I will attempt the same breakfast and take the Symlin and insulin in the same manner but use my normal morning insulin to carb ratio and ISF. If my bg is elevated when starting, I will take my insulin 15 minutes prior to eating, as I currently do with my Symlin. I think the third time will be a charm...

lelggren
As some of you might know, I started eating cereal for breakfast yesterday. I've been eating a pretty low carb breakfast for a very long time and I figured it was time to "kick the habit".

Yesterday I had two of the mini-boxes of Raisin Bran with 1 cup of milk for a total of 68 carbs. I took my Symlin and did my insulin bolus of 2/3 of the non-symlin dose of insulin with a 40/60 combo bolus over 2 hours. It didn't work out so well since 2 hours after eating my bg was 285. I ended up doing a correction bolus to bring my bg back down.

Today I had the same exact breakfast. I took my Symlin and insulin, but this time I took the insulin all at once rather than with a combo bolus. I still used 2/3 of the non-symlin dose of insulin, but being cautious I used a slightly lower insulin to carb ratio and a slightly higher ISF than I normally use in the morning. My bg was 148 when I started the experiment and 2 hours after eating my bg was 200. Major improvement since my bg only increased approx 50 points!

Tomorrow I will attempt the same breakfast and take the Symlin and insulin in the same manner but use my normal morning insulin to carb ratio and ISF. If my bg is elevated when starting, I will take my insulin 15 minutes prior to eating, as I currently do with my Symlin. I think the third time will be a charm...

Now, my bg does the same thing when I eat breakfast cereal. I can't stand it that it does this because I really do love to eat cereal. I have also tried the all at once bolus, the square, and the dual, and no matter what, I still go up way too high.

I think I just need to find something else to eat for breakfast...... :(

Cyborg
Now, my bg does the same thing when I eat breakfast cereal. I can't stand it that it does this because I really do love to eat cereal. I have also tried the all at once bolus, the square, and the dual, and no matter what, I still go up way too high.

I think I just need to find something else to eat for breakfast...... :(

I consider the fact that my bg only went up approx 50 points today a success. When you factor in that I was conservative and didn't use my normal carb ratio or ISF, I have a feeling I will see excellent results tomorrow.

lelggren
I consider the fact that my bg only went up approx 50 points today a success. When you factor in that I was conservative and didn't use my normal carb ratio or ISF, I have a feeling I will see excellent results tomorrow.

And I think you will too :) I'm not sure why, but my bg tends to go up sometimes 100 or so points when I eat cereal. I think that my body just doesn't like it. But, the problem is that my taste buds really love it..... :(

Let us know what happens for your bg today.

Jorj Gaidin

So I've been on Symlin for 3 days now. Here are my fancy results

2 days before symlin.. avg 128

1 day before symlin.. avg 123

Day 1 avg 107

Day 2 avg 103

Day 3 avg 104

I just increased my symlin to 5 units today. I'm wondering though whether I should increase it at all if my 2hr pp bg is around 100. I'm using 100% of my pre-symlin insulin:carb ratio and a dual wave 50/50 for 2 hrs.

lelggren
So I've been on Symlin for 3 days now. Here are my fancy results

2 days before symlin.. avg 128

1 day before symlin.. avg 123

Day 1 avg 107

Day 2 avg 103

Day 3 avg 104

I just increased my symlin to 5 units today. I'm wondering though whether I should increase it at all if my 2hr pp bg is around 100. I'm using 100% of my pre-symlin insulin:carb ratio and a dual wave 50/50 for 2 hrs.

I would say to try and go up in the symlin, and then try to decrease your insulin. The symlin is definately helping you, and that is awesome!! But, try to decrease your insulin. That is what it is also supposed to help you do.

Keep up the good work!

Brenda A

I am new to this site. I have been on Symlin for 6 months. I have lost about 15 lbs or so. I am happy with it's overall results. I take R insulin. I was wondering if others have had a problem with hair loss on this drug? I noticed about 3 months into it, my hair which was very thick started thining. I take synthroid for thyroid failure, but my levels are on the mark and my endo says that is not the cause. Anyone having this happen?:(

Cyborg
And I think you will too :) I'm not sure why, but my bg tends to go up sometimes 100 or so points when I eat cereal. I think that my body just doesn't like it. But, the problem is that my taste buds really love it..... :(

Let us know what happens for your bg today.

I ran out of Raisin Bran and didn't have alot of time this morning. I was also in weight loss mode all night and all day today which would have thrown the numbers off anyhow. I did get more cereal this afternoon. I'll have to try the 3rd attempt perhaps tomorrow. I've still some more weight to lose, so I kinda like being in this mode, but it will skew my results.

lelggren

Ok, I have another question. :help: So, I am up to the full dose of symlin now. 10 units. And, since I went up to 10, I've had nasty nausea, like somethin' fierce.....:puke: (haven't really puked yet, just put it for dramatic effect...lol). So, does that mean that I need to go back down to the 7.5 units as my dose? or do I just grin and bear it with the 10 units? I just know that it is really not a good feeling......

Cyborg
Ok, I have another question. :help: So, I am up to the full dose of symlin now. 10 units. And, since I went up to 10, I've had nasty nausea, like somethin' fierce.....:puke: (haven't really puked yet, just put it for dramatic effect...lol). So, does that mean that I need to go back down to the 7.5 units as my dose? or do I just grin and bear it with the 10 units? I just know that it is really not a good feeling......

Personally, I'd try it a couple more times to see if it's going to be a problem or not.

lelggren
Personally, I'd try it a couple more times to see if it's going to be a problem or not.

Well, I'm not sure if that is wise though. I've been on the 10 unit dose for like 5 days now. I guess that I just don't want to screw up anything with this stuff.....How long would you wait to change it?

Brenda A
I was given the brochure for Symilin, I have a couple of concerns,

1, I don't like the fact that I would have to give injections again. I'm currently on the pump and love the lack of daily injections.. Is this in a pill form?? Plus the injections are only supposed to be given in the leg or abdomen. Not really practical.

2. I already have a high nausea problem. I've got some acid reflux problems and the naseau side effect would really make me even more hesitant to the symilin.

3. From what I've read, this would only be for meals over 250 calories or 30 carbs. Gee that could be every one. Which for me eliminates the cause for getting the pump.

4. The weight loss is appealing, I've been stuck around 180 for a while. But the naseau and the high probabilites of a severe Low, I don't think it's worth it.

I take 20 symlin before meals. I have bad acid reflux also. I take OTC Zantac 150 and this has not been a problem. I take 4 injections Insulin R, and 3 Symlin a day. It is a lot of sticks! My concern is :frown: I have started losing my hair since starting Symlin. I have heard Byetta causes this, but I am on Symlin. This is my only concern with the Symlin. It cost me 100.00 a month also!!! That is with the cheaper mail order INS (3 months at a time mode). It was more with just reg. copay at the pharmacy. I am happy with the weight loss as insulin really makes a weight problem. I do have thyroid failure, but my levels are good so my Endo says that is not the reason for the fall out. I am a female with a huge head of hair. I can see my scalp for the first time in my life!!!

lelggren
I was on a full dose for 2 weeks before I wasn't nauseaus anymore.

That is good to know. Maybe I'll watch it a week more.

lelggren
I take 20 symlin before meals. I have bad acid reflux also. I take OTC Zantac 150 and this has not been a problem. I take 4 injections Insulin R, and 3 Symlin a day. It is a lot of sticks! My concern is :frown: I have started losing my hair since starting Symlin. I have heard Byetta causes this, but I am on Symlin. This is my only concern with the Symlin. It cost me 100.00 a month also!!! That is with the cheaper mail order INS (3 months at a time mode). It was more with just reg. copay at the pharmacy. I am happy with the weight loss as insulin really makes a weight problem. I do have thyroid failure, but my levels are good so my Endo says that is not the reason for the fall out. I am a female with a huge head of hair. I can see my scalp for the first time in my life!!!

I'm not sure if you're supposed to be taking 20 units of it. I was told that 10 units is the full dose. But, your doctor knows more than I do, so don't listen to me on that one :)

Also, I've not read anywhere that hair loss is a side effect. Does your dr have any theories of what it may be causing this?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.