Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cyborg

Symlin

Brenda A
I'm not sure if you're supposed to be taking 20 units of it. I was told that 10 units is the full dose. But, your doctor knows more than I do, so don't listen to me on that one :)

Also, I've not read anywhere that hair loss is a side effect. Does your dr have any theories of what it may be causing this?

The paperwork given with the Symlin , and the one in the starter kit both said start at 10 and raise to 20 in one week.

The endo sent me to a dermatologist to see if something might be going on, but nothing there. I go back in a month to my Endo so I am going to hit the subject again. I was hoping to get some info from others to take along. I read on a site that byetta which is for non insulin users does cause hair loss. I hope it is not the Symlin because I am doing well on it. I am also not into sporting a new nick name "LADY BALDY" if you know what I mean!!:laugh:

lelggren
The paperwork given with the Symlin , and the one in the starter kit both said start at 10 and raise to 20 in one week.

The endo sent me to a dermatologist to see if something might be going on, but nothing there. I go back in a month to my Endo so I am going to hit the subject again. I was hoping to get some info from others to take along. I read on a site that byetta which is for non insulin users does cause hair loss. I hope it is not the Symlin because I am doing well on it. I am also not into sporting a new nick name "LADY BALDY" if you know what I mean!!:laugh:

That is wierd, because the chart that I was given in the starter kit said to start at 2.5 units, and then every 3 days, progress another 2.5 units until you reach 10 total. Anyways, that is not the important thing here. I hope that they are able to figure out the hair loss! Especially if the symlin is helping you. I can't imagine how it would cause it though. Just tell your endo that he needs to fix it....lol :)

Cyborg
That is wierd, because the chart that I was given in the starter kit said to start at 2.5 units, and then every 3 days, progress another 2.5 units until you reach 10 total. Anyways, that is not the important thing here. I hope that they are able to figure out the hair loss! Especially if the symlin is helping you. I can't imagine how it would cause it though. Just tell your endo that he needs to fix it....lol :)

My endo actually scratched off the 3 days on the instructions and wrote in 1 week by hand. He wanted me to increase by 2.5 units once every week until I reached max dosage.

Brenda A
My endo actually scratched off the 3 days on the instructions and wrote in 1 week by hand. He wanted me to increase by 2.5 units once every week until I reached max dosage.

I wonder if they have different kits for different types. I am type 2. I know that having thyroid failure makes for higher doses of several meds because the synthroid causes them to be less effective. My doc also wrote in the week instead of 3 days. I did not have any real nausea until I went off for a few days and restarted it, then I got headache, and nausea, and stuffy nose. It cleared up in a couple of days and all is well, except the hair.

Cyborg
And I think you will too :) I'm not sure why, but my bg tends to go up sometimes 100 or so points when I eat cereal. I think that my body just doesn't like it. But, the problem is that my taste buds really love it..... :(

Let us know what happens for your bg today.

I had my Raisin Bran again today. Today I took a different approach. I might actually take this approach with Symlin in general. My total breakfast bolus really consists of 2 parts, one for the carbs I'm eating and one for correction of current bg.

I took my entire correction part of my bolus and then took 66% (since I was taking Symlin) of the carb part of my bolus to determine my total breakfast bolus. The correction part and 40% of the carb part I took immediately and the remainder was given with an extended bolus over 2 hours. It's now 2 hours post cereal, and my bg is 107! :)

lelggren
I had my Raisin Bran again today. Today I took a different approach. I might actually take this approach with Symlin in general. My total breakfast bolus really consists of 2 parts, one for the carbs I'm eating and one for correction of current bg.

I took my entire correction part of my bolus and then took 66% (since I was taking Symlin) of the carb part of my bolus to determine my total breakfast bolus. The correction part and 40% of the carb part I took immediately and the remainder was given with an extended bolus over 2 hours. It's now 2 hours post cereal, and my bg is 107! :)

Hmmmm.....Interesting! Maybe I can still have muffin tops cereal?????

Cyborg

Since I was 141 when I started, I did take my insulin when I took my Symlin, which was 15 minutes before eating.

lelggren
Since I was 141 when I started, I did take my insulin when I took my Symlin, which was 15 minutes before eating.

Maybe that's my problem. I don't always wait a full 15 minutes before eating when taking symlin.....But, my bg would still spike even before I took symlin.... Hmmmm.......

Cyborg

Well, I was back up to 154 by 3 1/2 hours, so maybe I need to do some more tweaking...

koblenz

Someone make Muffin Top cereal? Who? Where do I get it?

While I haven't responded much, I have been following this thread with great interest. After much experimentation, reading, and a consult with Endo, here is what I have settled on.

Similar to Cyborg, I too have a rise in BS after the Symlin "wears off". So, after trying lots of different combinations, and none of them working, I have gone back to my old plan. A little bit of a PITA, but the BS stay perfect.

Take about 50% of normal insulin with breakfast, 35% immediate, rest over 1.5 hours. At the 2 hour post meal mark, I take a 1.8 unit bolus to kick in and cover the symlin "wearing off".

Yeah if I forget to take the bolus mid-morning, I do go back into the 160's area, but if I do remember..... perfection. I am satisfied and I think I will stick with this plan until it stops working.

koblenz
So why is it suggested for type 2's only to go up to 20 units max dosage?

Don't know. Would be interested in finding that out too.

Heck, I only got up to 4 units and I am happy there.

Cyborg

I tried again with the Raisin Bran and Symlin combo. This time I took my correction bolus up front in total and then 2/3 of my non-symlin bolus for the cereal, using a 30/70 combo bolus over 3 hours. The numbers looked pretty good until the third hour again. Koblenz, it sure does seem like you are right about the Symlin wearing off. I do set my bolus alarm for 2 hours, so I could do a manual bolus at that point. How much to bolus would be the question...

koblenz
I do set my bolus alarm for 2 hours, so I could do a manual bolus at that point. How much to bolus would be the question...

Yeah, took me some trial and error to figure out the right mix. One thing I figured out after a while, is if I take my 1.8 unit "booster" at the two hour mark, it has kicked in and working in conjunction with the "wear off". So I test at 2 hours and I am usually between 90 and 110.

If I waited until 2.5 or 3 hours, then I would be behind the curve so to speak and I would end up around 150 or so before lunch.

Again, trial and error. Today for example:

Wake up: 92

Breakfast of oatmeal, slice of whole grain toast, sausage, little bit of OJ. 68 carbs.

Morning bolus of 5.4 units, 35% immediate, rest over 1.5 hours.

1 hour post, triple espresso with splenda

2 hour post: 96

Bolus 1.8 units

Pre-lunch: 112

That's my schedule, and I am sticking to it!

lelggren
Someone make Muffin Top cereal? Who? Where do I get it?

Muffin tops are Malt-o-meal. They are so splendidly delicious! You can get them in any usual grocery store. Although, they are kinda hard to find sometimes. Not every store has them now.

I also have to share my joy. I ate me up some delicious muffin tops this morning, and my post prandial was not, I repeat NOT, In the 200's!!!! YAY!!!! My morning was 133, and my 1 hour was 85 and my 2 hour was 130. Oh Yeah :star::rock: Granted, this is the first time this has happened, so it is quite possibly a fluke, but I am still rejoicing in it all the same ;)

Brenda A
So why is it suggested for type 2's only to go up to 20 units max dosage?

I am type 2 and I have been on 20 for some time now. My BS rock from 87 to134 depending on what I eat and how much. I am happy with the results. I seem to not crave carbs and my sweet tooth is easier to keep under raps. When I find out why the hair started falling out, I will relax and enjoy. It is just that the Symlin and and loss started about the same time, so I AM worried.

Cyborg
I am type 2 and I have been on 20 for some time now. My BS rock from 87 to134 depending on what I eat and how much. I am happy with the results. I seem to not crave carbs and my sweet tooth is easier to keep under raps. When I find out why the hair started falling out, I will relax and enjoy. It is just that the Symlin and and loss started about the same time, so I AM worried.

I've got a pretty good head of hair and so far, I haven't noticed any hair loss. Lots of graying, but I blame that on the kids. ;) I am debating going above 10 units so see if it would extend the duration of the Symlin.

lelggren
I've got a pretty good head of hair and so far, I haven't noticed any hair loss. Lots of graying, but I blame that on the kids. ;) I am debating going above 10 units so see if it would extend the duration of the Symlin.

I'm not sure if that is such a great idea. 20 units might make you sick, or even play with hypo's on you. I would ask the dr first. Either that, or make sure you have a really big bottle of glucose tablets with you. ;)

gettingby

Gray hair on a 20 something year old man !!!! That's a tragedy. LOL :wink:

Harold
Gray hair on a 20 something year old man !!!! That's a tragedy. LOL :wink:

Started getting gray hair at 19. When I was 26 and 27 frosted hair was popular and women would stop me and ask where I had it done at.

Dewey

Out of curiosity (this question will show my lack of knowledge on Symlin), why is nausea a possible side effect?

gettingby
Started getting gray hair at 19. When I was 26 and 27 frosted hair was popular and women would stop me and ask where I had it done at.

LMAO !!! I actually think that gray hair on a gentleman shows that he is distinguished.:smile:

Cyborg
Out of curiosity (this question will show my lack of knowledge on Symlin), why is nausea a possible side effect?

It interacts with the digestive system, slowing digestion. Maybe thats what causes some people to feel sick. I do feel fuller, faster when taking Symlin.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.