Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moonlitknight

Buckwheat

Moonlitknight

Hi Folks

A friend just told me about the benefits of buckwheat to diabetics.I did a google search for Buckwheat diabetics , and it was amazing what came up.

Studies have shown that blood glucose levels can be reduced by about 20% in rats with diabetes. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this, and if you have had sucess with it and if you may have any recipes.

Thanks

mlk

texascarl

Mix 1 part buckwheat 'groats' with 1 part parboiled rice, 1 part barley flakes and 1/2 part wild rice, 1/2 part orzo. I usually mix up several pounds at a time. Brown 1 cup of this mixture in a bit of oil, add 2 cups of water (add a couple of bullion cubes if you like). Bring to a boil, cover "& reduce to a simmer for 20-25 minutes. Add some slivered almonds or pine nuts and serve this pilaf as a side dish, add mushrooms and/or meat and it's an entree, or top with your favorite pasta sauce as a low glycemic pasta substitute.

jjordie
could you post any links that you found on the buckwheat and diabetes?

I agree - please could you post links Moonlitknight.

I am very interested. :)

Penny
Hi Folks

A friend just told me about the benefits of buckwheat to diabetics.I did a google search for Buckwheat diabetics , and it was amazing what came up.

Studies have shown that blood glucose levels can be reduced by about 20% in rats with diabetes. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this, and if you have had sucess with it and if you may have any recipes.

Thanks

mlk

I was told if I eat nuts, it will reduce my BS, if I take cinnamon, it will reduce my BS. If I drink certain teas it will reduce my BS, if I eat avocados and tomatoes it will reduce my BS. I tried them all! I should be cured by now!:)

texascarl

Google search is our friend!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3279591.stm

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=4694

http://www.mendosa.com/diabetes_update_65.htm (scroll down)

Buckwheat groats have a 'medium' glycemic index & glycemic load, they're actually a fruit, not a grain. By themselves that won't cure anything, but extracts from buckwheat may prove useful in the future (who knew that lizard spit had potential before the news release? C'mon, show of hands). Meanwhile, that buckwheat pilaf I listed above isn't half bad. (I usually cook mine with a packet of onion soup mix instead of bullion. Pretty tasty, but it does raise the sodium content).

arline handin

I heard of it a long time ago and have taken it for 2 years now. I take it raw in yogurt every morning. The surprise is it didnt lower my blood sugar but lowered my cholesterol to a point that I have been able to get off cholesterol meds. Also, eat a lot of cherries and they lower blood sugar better than buckwheat

nuts do NOT lower blood sugar - they are good for cholesterol as is buckwheat. However, cherries DO lower blood sugar - try a website that indicates 'cherries for diabetics' and you'll see.

justplug in "buckwheat for diabetics' but also try 'cherries for diabetics' - they r e a l l y work

susique333
nuts do NOT lower blood sugar - they are good for cholesterol as is buckwheat. However, cherries DO lower blood sugar - try a website that indicates 'cherries for diabetics' and you'll see.

Cherries are however good for Gout. Google that too.

arline handin

Yes - its on the internet - supposed to lower blood sugar and cholesterol - it didn't lower my blood sugar but amazingly I have been able to get off lipitor. I eat it raw every morning in yogurt - about 1 1/2 TBSP of buckwheat t 3 TBS of yogurt.

shiftzor

My friend gave me some toasted buckwheat (boil in the bag), its pretty good but full of carbs though. 70g carbs per 100g.

xMenace

Can you make bread with the stuff? I've had pancakes which are tasty.

Cherries raise my bloodsugar. I'm not sure but maybe it's the sucrose.

shiftzor

Cherries raise my bloodsugar. I'm not sure but maybe it's the sucrose.

Well you can get buckwheat flour apparently, so the answer would be yes. ;)

Random Links:

buckwheat flour - Google Product Search

Gluten-free bread Buckwheat Bread Gluten-free cookery, the completeguide

Buckwheat Bread Recipe - LoveToKnow Recipes

Eddy

Yes, but keep in mind that buckwheat is gluten-free. You'd want to use some gluten-containing flour and/or add straight gluten.

xMenace

I tried some with 1.5 cups of multigrain and .5 of buckwheat. It came out very heavy, like banana bread but more-so. I think with a little work I might be able to bake bricks for a building in some third world country :eek: It tastes very good though.

Eddy
I tried some with 1.5 cups of multigrain and .5 of buckwheat. It came out very heavy, [...]

No doubt. Rice and buckwheat (both gluten-free) are some dense, heavy flours. Had you used a higher proportion of buckwheat, you have ended up with a brick of crumbly sand. (Tasty sand, mind you, but... well... sand.)

Some added gluten should help.

(Diabetic? It is what it is. I hope I don't become gluten-intolerant, though!)

HelenM

Bretonne Galettes, Buckwheat savory pancakes. (how healthy depends on the filling and your views on the fat content)

Ingrédients :

500 g buckwheat flour,

100 g de butter demi-sel melted,

2 eggs,

30 cl dry cidre ,

1 pichet water(1),

salt.

Put flour in bowl, make a well add eggs

With a wooden spoon gradually add cider then the water until its a 'smooth, fluid but not liquid batter' ( relatively thick)

add melted butter and adjust seasoning

leave to rest for 2 hours

Cook on a hot, greased skillett or heavy based frying pan (traditionally with a mixture of butter and lard but a non stick pan with a tiny amount of oil mixed with butter also works ). Pour in a thin layer and use the back of a ladle to spread the batter around the skillet.

Turn when the edges start to brown and add the filling to the centre when almost cooked. Fold up the edges to form a square parcel.

Serve with cider to drink.

Traditional fillings seem to be cheese, ham (air dried), bacon, and fried eggs

Less traditional ones include all sorts of things like smoked salmon, spinach, tomato mushrooms etc.

NB like all pancakes the first one often doesn't work

' Ne dit-on pas ? " La première, c’est pour le chien ! ".'

'don't we say, the first is for the dog'

tu144b2

Hello,

I myself do not have diabeties but grandfather had. Originally I am from Latvia ( at that time Soviet Union :)))

So it was known to be a good substitution for potato and rice.

I know that it does NOT lower your blood shugar BUT it won't induce the spike like potato or rice do.

Also my advice is to get it from Russian store if you have access in your area to such store. The reason is that in Russia it is a popular food and has very good quality. I tried to get it from regular American supermarket and well it is just NOT the same :))

Well I will give to you Old Russian recipe :

Cut 4 – 5 Shampinion Mushrooms into small (fine if you can) peaces.

Mix 1 glass of Buckwheat with 3 glasses of water and add cut mushrooms.

Start boiling wait until all water evaporates.

While it boils cut 2 small to medium onion heads into fine peaces and fry it in 5-6 table spoons of sunflower oil.

Boil two eggs to well done condition and then cut them into fine peaces.

When the buckwheat is done mix fried onion and eggs with it.

Well you can eat it with a peace of chicken also :))

enjoy

Deniss

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.