Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trailrunner

a question and a rant.

trailrunner

Rant first. I am so tired of being so normal so days that I swear that dm went away( A dream ) then wham I am back to high blood sugars and feeling crappy. It's just so hit and miss now. I started honeymooning back in march after being put on lantus and itwas as if it just went away. so I stopped taking lantus( ok with doc) She said keep monitoring, honeymooning can last a week or years. It was going ok, an occ high post prandial not too often, mostly normal. Now I'll go a few days being high, get them back under control with lantus and humalog, start going low, cut the lantus back stop using humalog post meals ( cause I don't need it at the time ) then in a few days I am riding high again, It so frustrating! Is this how a honey moon end? Thanks claire

Penny

The insurance CDE told me to take my Novolog even if I am low, before a meal. She also said to take the Lanus when I am supposed to. I was skipping Novolog when I was not high, but then would be high before the next meal. It seems to be working, I just have a few extra carbs when I am low and take the Novolog to try to keep somewhat level.

snowhite

I'm on Lantus and Novolog also. My endo told me to take the Novolog before a meal with carbs even if my sugar is running on the low side, say 80. When it runs on the low side I tend to cover the carbs with a little less insulin than I would if it was running a little higher. Usually I do 1u Novolog to 25 carbs. When it's low I tend to do 1u to 30 carbs. If my meal only has 15 carbs then I skip taking the Novolog but check BG at 2hrs to see if I need to bolus. Normally I won't need a bolus. What is your carb ratio?

seacomp
When it runs on the low side I tend to cover the carbs with a little less insulin than I would if it was running a little higher.

It seems to be that you are doing the right thing, but doing it in an inappropriate

manner. You insulin dose should be Carb dose + Correction Dose. The carb dose does not change over the short term, the correction dose changes with each meal depending on your BG reading. The correction dose represents the amount of insulin required to bring your BG to your target; it is calculated as a ratio of BG points to a unit of insulin. For example, 1 U of insulin will move my BG about 35 points, so I add or subtract that much insulin from the next shot.

What you are doing, changing the carb insulin ratio depending on your reading will work fine, as long as you have about the same amount of carbs each meal. But if your carb count changes much between meals it doesn't work well.

rzrbks

Sounds to me as if you just have to tinker with your amounts of insulin rather than Stop/Start

Adjusting the amount of Lantus( basal) is a normal process of controlling Diabetes.

Adjusting the ratio of Novo to carbs is part of what makes Diabetes the interesting disease it is.

for weeks and even months(rarely) I have the ratios down pat, than the Phases of the Moons of Saturn change and my ratio goes out the window and it feels as if I'm starting back at Square One---------at least it's not boring:boxing:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.