Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

YellowLord

S.1955 Looks Like It's Dead

duck
Okay, I've called my senators, sent them e-mails and am about to send them letters but I doubt if it will do any good. I hate to say it but there are a lot of politicians I don't trust, especially the senior senator from Alabama. I've worked as a volunteer for the Democratic party on many occasions and as part of my efforts worked to help get this fellow re-elected one year. He won his election but as soon as he did he converted to the Republican party. Now, I don't trust the fellow as far as he can fly.

I agree; I like Shelby, but he should have left that decision to the voters. He has been re-elected since, so I guess in a way he did, but the principal of the matter remains.

Where can we get a list of how these people are leaning on this vote? I doubt one exists, but maybe some lobbyist would know...

carrie37

Hey! I went and sent emails to my senators today also! This would be devasting to me and my parents. They are type 2 also

playdoh_tx

Here's the latest from govtrack.us

Introduced (By Sen. Michael Enzi [R-WY])

This bill is in the first step in the legislative process. Introduced Senate bills go first to Senate committees that consider whether the bill should be presented to the Senate as a whole. The majority of bills never make it out of committee.

Introduced: Nov 2, 2005

Last Action: Mar 15, 2006: Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions. Ordered to be reported with an amendment in the nature of a substitute favorably.

--------------------------

So, there's still time to make your opinions known!:pcguru:

If ya need some help on finding your senators' e-mails/address, just look here....

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

seacomp

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, the trend in recent years has been big public fights about bills, and then in the rush to get things passed, bills are pushed through in the wee hours of the morning with all sorts of weird provisions that few or any have ever read.

etm1109

There is a horrible bill being floated around Washington these days that will affect diabetics very much. I was speaking to my doctor and what I understand is this bill will allow insurance companies and HMO's to stop paying for diabetic supplies along with a whole list of other screening measures the medical community uses to keep the general population healthy.

This bill is terrible. I'm not going to go into the politics of this bill and which side said what. I will tell you what the bill is and where you can read about this. I urge you to pass this on to family members and friends and contact your representative.

See the information here:

S. 1955

http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/healthcare/fs/?postId=6026

Letter opposing this bill:

We are writing to urge you to oppose S. 1955 (Enzi, Wyo.) which would allow any HMO or insurer to ignore state benefit and service mandates and sell junk health insurance, often deceptively marketed as "association" or "small business" health plans. S. 1955 will allow insurance companies to override HMO Patients' Bill of Rights laws passed in 41 states.

List of Threatened Benefits:

http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/resources/benefitchart.pdf

Note in my state of Texas - diabetic supplies is on the list along with Colorectal screening, Prostrate Cancer screening, along with a host of other.

This bill is terrible and I can only imagine this bill is being pushed by the Insurance/HMO industry to further erode coverage.

See what the California Attorney General said about this bill:

http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/healthcare/pr/?postId=6023

California Attorney General Bill Lockyer strongly opposed federal legislation that will eliminate state health insurance consumer protection rules in a letter released yesterday, warning the bill "will result in many being priced out of the health insurance market."

"The mere fact that insurers would prefer a nationwide marketplace on their terms is not a legitimate reason to change our constitutionally-created federal system which leaves to the states the police power to regulate those activities that affect the daily lives of their citizens," wrote Attorney General Lockyer.

State protections at risk include those requiring health insurance plans to provide cervical and prostate cancer screenings, banning "drive-thru" deliveries, and guaranteeing an independent review if an insurer denies coverage for medically necessary care.

And I don't have to tell you in some states, diabetic supplies are on that list. I don't know about you, even my discounted rate on test strips is $80.00 amonth. If it goes much higher than that, I won't be testing anymore. I'll have to choose between my bills/food and my test strips.

Thanks for your time.

Cyborg

The Senate has pushed back the vote on this until after Easter recess. This gives everyone an extra 2 weeks to take action. If you follow the ADA links above, you will find ways to contact your senators, etc.

Cyborg

Just got notice from the ADA that the vote was pushed back another week due to nearly 20,000 message opposing the bill. That means we still have another week to send more messages and make more phone calls, etc. Now's the time to push hard! We are in the final stretch...

lgvincent

If they are getting so many messages opposing the bill then why the heck didn't they do the right thing and vote it down? I'd like to see the press get the story out but the only thing they seem concerned about is the illegal immigrants.

JediSkipdogg
If they are getting so many messages opposing the bill then why the heck didn't they do the right thing and vote it down? I'd like to see the press get the story out but the only thing they seem concerned about is the illegal immigrants.

They won't vote it down because they just released today (or a few days ago) a new estimate that Medicare will run out in 12 years from now. 2 years earlier than the previous estimate. And one ray to shed about 25% of the medicare costs is to not cover diabetic supplies.

The problem is they are looking at ways to eliminate areas of care instead of finding ways to control spending. That seems to always be the problem with the US government, they would rather elimate something altogether than to put a control method in place for costs. They claim control methods interfere with free enterprise. But what enterprise do you have when it's all bankrupt?

lgvincent
They won't vote it down because they just released today (or a few days ago) a new estimate that Medicare will run out in 12 years from now. 2 years earlier than the previous estimate. And one ray to shed about 25% of the medicare costs is to not cover diabetic supplies.

The problem is they are looking at ways to eliminate areas of care instead of finding ways to control spending. That seems to always be the problem with the US government, they would rather elimate something altogether than to put a control method in place for costs. They claim control methods interfere with free enterprise. But what enterprise do you have when it's all bankrupt?

Unfortunately, it seems politicians tend to prefer to do what is easy rather than what is right. I would assume the lack of coverage will also include things like insulin and pumps, too. If that is the case, do any of you have any idea what you'll do? I'll pretty much be out of luck.

Cyborg
Posted · Hidden
Hidden
If that is the case, do any of you have any idea what you'll do?

I'll deduct the expenses from my the taxes I pay and thank the govt. for letting the bill pass.

Cyborg

Families USA is hosting a National Call-In to oppose Senate Bill 1955 this Wednesday, May 3rd. On Wednesday, please call the Senate switchboard at 1-800-828-0498 to participate.

lgvincent

I got a letter from Senator Shelby today saying he supports the bill. Gee, what a suprise. I called his office, quite angry about it. I suspect he'll still support it when it comes to a vote.

Cyborg
Families USA is hosting a National Call-In to oppose Senate Bill 1955 this Wednesday, May 3rd. On Wednesday, please call the Senate switchboard at 1-800-828-0498 to participate.

Today's the day! Let's call and bug the "you know what" out of our Senators...

Cyborg
Today's the day! Let's call and bug the "you know what" out of our Senators...

I just called both of my Senator's offices. It's really easy. It only takes a minute to do for each Senator. They take your zip code and pass along the message to the Senator.

lgvincent

Going badly for me. I looked at Senator Sessions website and called the number on it and got someone else who insisted he wasn't Jeff Sessions so I tried the toll-free number listed here and was switched to his office. I told the woman who answered the phone that the number on the website didn't work and we got into an argument about it and she asks, "If the number doesn't work, how did you get here" so I told her I used the toll-free number. Pretty much a wasted call, I'm sure since I didn't hang up with any "happy-happy, joy-joy" thoughts.

lgvincent

I see The Birmingham News seems to support the bill. I'm trying to contact other news organizations and see if they'll make people aware of this horrible bill and the dangers it holds. Probably too little done too late, though.

lgvincent

Got a letter from Senator Sessions today. It looks like he supports the bill, too. Well, that's 2 Alabama Republicans who support it. I have no idea who might be against it but I sure hope there are enough of them.

Cyborg
Got a letter from Senator Sessions today. It looks like he supports the bill, too. Well, that's 2 Alabama Republicans who support it. I have no idea who might be against it but I sure hope there are enough of them.

Alabama, upon re-election for Senate:

Shelby - Vote No

Sessions - Vote No

(Payback's a b...)

lgvincent

I may be wrong but I THINK there are 44 Democrats and 1 indepentant in the Senate? I also think 60 votes are required for a bill to become law? If these are correct and the Democrats vote against it as a team, I hope it means the bill won't pass. I'm under the impression that it's at least up for discussion today.

lgvincent

At least the CBO is against the bill, saying it will result in a major increase in premiums for older and sicker (us?) Americans while reducing premiums only 2 to 3 percent. It says the bill will do more harm than good. I hope members of the Senate will listen to the CBO but they've had a history of ignoring them before:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060508/clm527.html?.v=17

Here's another one against it:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2006/05/durbin_t_kennedy_fighting_gop.html

Here's one who supports it:

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=9260

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.