Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kidvid

Zetia for cholesterol?

kidvid

Is anyone taking Zetia for cholesterol? I'm on Pravachol right now...Crestor kinda messed up one of my liver functions just a little. I get results from my latest blood panel next tuesday, and if Pravachol has whacked my liver, I wonder if Zetia alone would help? Any one use it alone or in conjunction with a statin?

Thanks,

Joe

Mich

Hi Joe,

I had the same problem with statins. I awakened in the night with frozen neck muscles after 30 days of use of the first one. We tried several, thinking I would tolerate others better, waiting in between for a month or so. Each one had the same effect on me, with the time I could tolerate the effects growing shorter each time. We tried smaller doses, but it made no difference. My endo and I just had to admit that even though statins did a great job of lowering my cholesterol (It was 50 on Crestor) I just could not use them.

I now use Zetia exclusively, and although it doesn't lower me as much, it does get me to a reasonable level. Although it is possible for Zetia to cause muscle problems too, it hasn't affected me so far. I eat tons of dark leafy greens and veggies and have a high "good cholesterol" which is always over 60, so that also helps some.

Good luck with your new liver panel! Mich

amccrazgrl

I been using Zetia for awhile now like 6months or more.

10mg

I think before she put me on Zetia I tried Lipitor(one month) and that foked me up and she said I can never take that again.

archimeech

I take Zetia. I'm dealthly allergic to Staten drugs and Crestor damn near killed me. It has helped reduce my levels, but not as much as if I could take a staten drug.

RobB
Is anyone taking Zetia for cholesterol? I'm on Pravachol right now...Crestor kinda messed up one of my liver functions just a little. I get results from my latest blood panel next tuesday, and if Pravachol has whacked my liver, I wonder if Zetia alone would help? Any one use it alone or in conjunction with a statin?

I took Lipitor by itself for 4 years or so and my Cholesterol was about 180 (HDL about 80). My doc wanted to be agressive so we tried doubling the Lipitor with virtually no change. Added Zetia and now my Cholesterol is 140 (HDL 60, LDL 53). No side effects that I can notice.

archimeech

Yes, taking the "cocktail" of a staten combined with Zetia does much more good than doubling up on your staten drug.

Nejeda

I was on Zetia alone and it wasn't working too well (my cholesterol was well over 600), so my doctor put me on Vitroin (I may have spelled that incorrectly) and it's now down to just about 110 (total).

Harold

Last week my LDL was 91. So the doc switched me out from lipitor to Vytorin 10/40. To soon to know about cholesterol, but I know I feel better.

fp43wa

hello gang

I have been on Zetia 10 mgs for awhile now and it is helping me with both the cholestrol and lower my triglycides as well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.