Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spike

Any brand of glucose tablets taste better than others?

spike

I've purchased numerous brands of glucose tablets (Relion, Dex4, among others) and hadn't paid much attention to the taste differences. Early this morning I awoke with a bg of 54, so gobbled a few tablets (Dex4) on the nightstand. They were worse than I remember! My mouth and throat felt liked I'd ingested Drano. My throat was still burning an hour later, even though I had water too.

So...anyone have a preference? I've tried other flavors too, and they are all revolting to me, but now I wonder if there isn't a "lesser of the evils" out there.

lelggren
I've purchased numerous brands of glucose tablets (Relion, Dex4, among others) and hadn't paid much attention to the taste differences. Early this morning I awoke with a bg of 54, so gobbled a few tablets (Dex4) on the nightstand. They were worse than I remember! My mouth and throat felt liked I'd ingested Drano. My throat was still burning an hour later, even though I had water too.

So...anyone have a preference? I've tried other flavors too, and they are all revolting to me, but now I wonder if there isn't a "lesser of the evils" out there.

The Reli-on ones are so ishy! The only ones that I have found actually have a tolerable taste to them is the BD ones. The other ones are terrible, and taste like you are eating hardened corn syrup. I don't like the orange ones, no matter what the brand. They are absolutely terrible! I find that I like to just keep starbursts with me. One of them has the same amount of fast acting carb as one glucose tablet. And, I like the taste of a starburst much better. No nasty before, after, and during taste in your mouth....lol

spike
The Reli-on ones are so ishy! The only ones that I have found actually have a tolerable taste to them is the BD ones. The other ones are terrible, and taste like you are eating hardened corn syrup. I don't like the orange ones, no matter what the brand. They are absolutely terrible! I find that I like to just keep starbursts with me. One of them has the same amount of fast acting carb as one glucose tablet. And, I like the taste of a starburst much better. No nasty before, after, and during taste in your mouth....lol

Hmmm...Guess what my wife uses in lieu of tablets...Starburst. LOL! Maybe I SHOULD listen to her. When she comes home today, I'll try to remember to ask for a sample. Thanks, Laura.

JediSkipdogg

I have done the Starburst thing numerous times too. The only thing I hate is if you don't have too many lows, Starburst get hard over time, and therefore pretty bad to try to chew.

spike
I have done the Starburst thing numerous times too. The only thing I hate is if you don't have too many lows, Starburst get hard over time, and therefore pretty bad to try to chew.

Yeah, I wouldn't like them if they were rock hard.

The worst type of tablets I've ever had were the old BD tablets (oblong shaped?) back in the early 80's, IIRC. Biting into a tablet was like releasing a ton of confectioner's sugar which would cause me to choke. They should have had warning labels on them! :)

koblenz
Yeah, I wouldn't like them if they were rock hard.

The worst type of tablets I've ever had were the old BD tablets (oblong shaped?) back in the early 80's, IIRC. Biting into a tablet was like releasing a ton of confectioner's sugar which would cause me to choke. They should have had warning labels on them! :)

I do keep the tablets on hand, but I mostly use the mini-boxes of Nerds. They taste WAY better, plus 11 carbs per mini-box. And they take affect just as fast, if not faster, for me.

OK, let the nerd jokes begin! I asked for it!

Cyborg
I do keep the tablets on hand, but I mostly use the mini-boxes of Nerds. They taste WAY better, plus 11 carbs per mini-box. And they take affect just as fast, if not faster, for me.

You are what you eat! :nerd:

sofaraway

i think the dextrose orange ones are ok. I quite like that they don't taste good, coz it takes away any temptation to eat them when feeling peckish. if i have joosters or jelly babies or whatever i'd eat them when i wasn't low.

spike
i think the dextrose orange ones are ok. I quite like that they don't taste good, coz it takes away any temptation to eat them when feeling peckish. if i have joosters or jelly babies or whatever i'd eat them when i wasn't low.

I can't have Oreos in the house for the same reason.

lelggren
Hmmm...Guess what my wife uses in lieu of tablets...Starburst. LOL! Maybe I SHOULD listen to her. When she comes home today, I'll try to remember to ask for a sample. Thanks, Laura.

You have a very intelligent wife ;) Yes, listen to her. :)

Cyborg

I must be the odd one on the forum... I actually like the orange glucose tabs from CVS Pharmacy. Not enough to eat them for a snack, but I certainly don't mind eating them when needed.

poodlebone

I used to use Starburst as well. I was having so many lows, they didn't have time to get stale and I started buying the big bags of them. When I was really low, I would sometimes have trouble getting the paper off so I stopped using them.

I never found a glucose tablet I could use. They made me feel worse than the low did. I only got nauseous from extreme lows (where I'd end up passing out) but glucose tabs always made me feel like throwing up, even if I wasn't yet about to pass out.

Smarties work well, and I use those now.

spike
I used to use Starburst as well. I was having so many lows, they didn't have time to get stale and I started buying the big bags of them. When I was really low, I would sometimes have trouble getting the paper off so I stopped using them.

That reminds me of the times I'd get so low that I would bit right through candy bar wrappers rather than open them. I 'd be so low my jaw would barely function so I'd chew in slow motion. I'd lay on the floor so that if I passed out, I wouldn't fall down. That was in the bad ole days of my MDI therapy. :) Now when I get low I'm only HALF brain dead. <g>

parrotletzoo

Dex are NASTY! especially orange ones. blech, I usually buy Walgreen's brand. If you have a Meijer near you their brand tabs are pretty good too. My favorite flavor would be raspberry in both brands. BD tabs dont taste bad either but they are so much more expensive that I never buy them.

jeggeman31
I must be the odd one on the forum... I actually like the orange glucose tabs from CVS Pharmacy. .

I buy grape and cherry ones from walmart. Love the things. I eat them now all the time for lows, unless it is a very low low, and I go raid the kitchen.

spike
I buy grape and cherry ones from walmart. Love the things. I eat them now all the time for lows, unless it is a very low low, and I go raid the kitchen.

I tried the grape at Walmart. The best I've found so far is the tropical fruit ones, but they don't thrill me either. I always shudder at the thought of popping ANY of the glucotabs I've tried. I think I've had every flavor but watermelon (yuck). I'm giving serious thought to the Starbust idea.

SugaryOne

I get the same burning sensation in my throat when I eat orange glucose tabs. BD is good but expensive, I use the Walgreens myself.

I prefer the taste of raspberry but grape isn't as acidic as orange either though. Of course I like the taste so sometimes I overcorrect for my low. :angel:

spike
Seems like this ought to be in the Diabetes (general) forum.

Has nothing to do with monitoring.

Are you sure? I monitor my bg's--if I'm low I take some glucose tablets. Are you taking over Dewey's job? :) (just kidding, folks...)

jeggeman31
Are you sure? I monitor my bg's--if I'm low I take some glucose tablets.

I agree spike, and do the same as you.

Tim_Roy

Thanks for the clue on the carb total per box.

I bought these damned things a couple years back for Halloween, and no kids came.

They haven't seemed to "go bad" (if that's even possible) just yet. So I've tended to use 'em for reactions. Now I can put in the carb count on my meter when I use them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.